Mom and dad crawled in bed Thursday night, kissed goodnight and went to sleep. Later that night, as he was holding her, he snored rather loudly and then laid his hand on her shoulder. Mom said something to him but he didn’t respond. She lifted his arm and it fell right back down. She ran to turn on the light and immediately began CPR, but there was nothing she could do. He was gone!!!! Oh, how my heart still breaks at the thought of that night for my mom.
Wednesday night, daddy grilled ribeye steaks and my mom and dad had a candlelight dinner together. What a sweet memory for her! It’s amazing the time the Lord gave my dad the last week before He took Him home. Ross, Cayden and Daddy went to the deer lease that weekend. They cooked out some amazing ribs and had an absolute blast. He shot another deer on Saturday and was so excited. Looking back now I can see the Lord’s hand in it all… He gave Daddy time to spend with Ross and momma and time for us to talk on the phone more. I’m thankful for all of that.
Daddy showed no signs of being sick so the shock of losing him so suddenly was almost too much to take in. He had heart trouble but all of his appointments showed that he was doing great, but he had a massive heart attack that night. The Lord has all of our days numbered so even though we may not understand why, the Lord knew it was time. I can say I’m thankful he didn’t suffer… he went to sleep and woke up to Jesus’ face. When I finally cried out to Jesus that morning the first thing He told me was, “I heard every prayer and your Daddy is walking with me now!” It’s like I could just see him walking in new life… shedding the struggles and pain of this world… and experiencing joy like never before. Over and over I hear Jesus reminding me, “he’s walking with me now” and I cannot begin to tell you how much peace and comfort comes in knowing that. Even though I won’t see his face again in this life… receive a call from him and hear his voice… wrap my arms around him and tell him how much I love him… laugh with him and hear him call me “his little stinker”… listen to him light up when he talks to Tagen on the phone and Tagen says, “hi Bob!”… laughing together as we listened to our song "Baby's Got Her Blue Jeans On"... I will never ever forget the sweet memories we had together. I also find comfort in knowing once this life is through we will all spend eternity together. Jesus, I cannot praise you enough for saving us. I know this is just our temporary home.
Going home on Friday was so hard. Every time we came down to visit Daddy was standing in the driveway waiting for us to pull up, but not this time. Even though there were oceans of tears being shed I cannot begin to tell you the peace that was there and how much I could feel Daddy. It’s amazing the little things that mean so much more now. Daddy was an amazing welder… he made a metal cutout of the praying cowboy at the cross and put it on their entrance way. Thinking about the hours daddy spent working on it in his shop just melted my heart... I have always loved it but how I love it now doesn’t even compare. He spent so much time outside… checking his cattle, working in his garden and doing anything he could find to do. I walked around outside that evening just talking to Daddy and telling him how much I love him and that I will always be "his little girl." I walked over to admire his beautiful garden. All the tools he used in it were leaning up against the fence. Just Thursday he was holding them in his hands and now he’s holding Jesus’ hand. Wow! How fast things can change! I turned around and walked toward a burn pile daddy had started on Thursday… it was still burning. As I stood there with the wind blowing like crazy and the fire burning I was reminded of the Holy Spirit… both wind and fire represent the Holy Spirit and His power. The Lord was pouring out His Spirit on us and there was no doubt about that. The Holy Spirit is our comforter, helper, strength and the power inside of us. Ross came walking up... we just held each other and cried. Then I started talking about how daddy was in heaven already planting his garden and how he probably had a pet deer that has more horns than we can even count... just getting everything ready to show us when we get there. We laughed and told stories! It was a sweet, sweet moment!!!
The same day Daddy went to be with Jesus, on the front page of the paper there was a picture of him with his cousin and grandad. He's on the far right in a fireman hat (too cute). I don't believe in coincidence... the Lord cares about every little detail and did it just for us.

On Sunday afternoon, little Rylie was walking outside with Charlene holding her hand. They were just swinging their arms as they walked around then Rylie told her that Potter was holding her hand, too. I love the innocence of little children and wish I could see in the spirit as they do. I know he was right there with her!
One of my favorite things about daddy is how young he was at heart, how he joked around and gave everyone a nickname. He always made me smile! Here’s a little write up we did for daddy’s funeral… “Bob, or Potter as the Grandkids call him, loved spending time with family and playing with the grandkids like he was one of them. Cayden is his “little-bud,” Rylie is his “little-bec-bec,” Tagen is “tator-tot” and the only one who can get away with calling him Bob, Easton is his “little-Ross,” but he loved his Barbie-doll most of all. He also enjoyed bull-riding (back in his younger days), hunting, fishing, checking the cattle in his high-powered golf cart, planting a delicious garden, bar-b-quing, and… the Texas Tech Red Raiders (but shhhh don’t tell Ross or Bevo). Without a doubt he was young-at-heart and picked on everyone he loved. If you knew him well enough you wouldn’t accept his offer to dance because as soon as you got out there he was doing the “turkey.”
Bob, Daddy, Potter, whichever way you put it… we love you more than words can express and these are only a few of the memories we will cherish forever. Our peace comes in knowing you are walking with Jesus. You are with us in spirit, but we will see you again and spend the rest of eternity together.”
One of Ross' friends drove down from Corpus and for Daddy's funeral sang "When I Get Where I'm Going" by Brad Paisley. It was more than perfect. Here are the lyrics:
When I get where I'm going
on the far side of the sky.
The first thing that I'm gonna do
Is spread my wings and fly.
I'm gonna land beside a lion,
and run my fingers through his mane.
Or I might find out what it's like
To ride a drop of rain
(Chorus:)
Yeah when I get where I'm going,
there'll be only happy tears.
I will shed the sins and struggles,
I have carried all these years.
And I'll leave my heart wide open,
I will love and have no fear.
Yeah when I get where I'm going,
Don't cry for me down here.
I'm gonna walk with my grandaddy,
and he'll match me step for step,
and I'll tell him how I missed him,
every minute since he left.
Then I'll hug his neck.
(Chorus)
So much pain and so much darkness,
in this world we stumble through.
All these questions, I can't answer,
so much work to do.
But when I get where I'm going,
and I see my Maker's face.
I'll stand forever in the light,
of His amazing grace.
Yeah when I get where I'm going,
Yeah when I get where I'm going,
there'll be only happy tears.
Hallelujah!
I will love and have no fear.
When I get where I'm going.
Yeah when I get where I'm going.
Daddy was a bull-rider and we found this picture of him that was in a magazine. It still amazes me. I don't know how my mom bared to watch him do something so crazy! Ha but that was dad for ya!

Mom and Dad on their wedding day... October 6, 1973

This one is my favorite...

Their first Christmas together...
.jpg)


Ross and Jayme's wedding (May 11, 2002)


Daddy dancing with his sweetie...

Me and Trey's wedding (May 7, 2005)
That's exactly daddy... being silly and walking around with the bridesmaids bouquet. Makes me smile!
One proud Potter holding Tagen. Mom and dad visited us in Dallas labor day weekend, drove home, turned around and drove right back because I went into labor...

Tagen's 1st Birthday Party...

Daddy's 65th Birthday... I love how silly mom and dad were with the bows on their head!
Christmas 2009
I miss you Daddy and I love you with all my heart. I will see you again in heaven and when I do just be ready... I'm going to throw my arms around you and tell you just how much I miss you!!!
Daddy's favorite verse, "Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31
"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; He rescues those whose spirits are crushed." Psalm 34:18
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1
7 comments:
You and your family have my sincere condolences on the loss of your father. May your memories give you strength
What a beautiful post! What sweet, special memories you have with him. How wonderful of God to provide such sweet last moments for all of your family.
Oh Becca, thinking of you and your mom and your whole family during this time. So comforting knowing that his life did not end but is continuing in heaven. Beautiful words and memories you shared here.
Love you girl and praying for y'all.
yRebecca-
Words cannot express how heart broken we are for you and your family! Please know that we are keeping you guys in our prayers and are asking the Lord for continued comfort and strength for the days to come. Your words are not only beautiful, but utterly inspiring. How honored your father's memory will remain because of his heart for the Lord and the legacy he set. You are so precious! We love you all, dearly, and are truly sorry.
Rebecca! I am so sorry for the loss of your Daddy. I am so glad that you have found comfort in the Lord. Your Daddy is so good right now. In his heavenly body, walking with our Savior! I enjoyed reading about him. He sounds like such a neat guy. I will be praying for you, your mother, and the rest of your family! Love you girl!
What a truly beautiful tribute to your dad. I was so saddened to hear of your dad's passing. One is never prepared for losing someone we love so dearly. You can take comfort knowing that he went peacefully and now has eternal rest. I know your faith will get you through this and will only make you stronger for those who will need you most. I pray your mom will find peace and comfort also knowing that your dad, Mr.Bob, is now at peace. God's blessings to you all...
With deepest sympathy, Kim Anders
Rebecca, I don't even know what to say. This just breaks my heart and brings tears to my eyes. I had no idea that your dad passed away and I am so so sorry. I know we just met recently but I am excited to get to know you more at play group. You have such a sweet presence and peace about you and I never would have known the hard times you are going through. You are amazing and such a strong person. You are inspiring. I am so sorry for the lose of your dad. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.
Allison
Post a Comment